I have found that getting realistic scale between objects is surprisingly difficult especially when working from a 2d image. So most of my time has been spent trying to get that correct so that I don’t have to worry about it later on down the line when I’m making the final assets.
I started out by blocking the environment out using BSP in engine so that I could quickly get a sense of the environment. I used the 5cm grid as a guide so that I had relatively fine control over the placement. By using the grid I was then able to setup the grid in Max so that it was the same so that when it came to creating the Static Meshes to replace the BSP it would transfer exactly.
Finding reference for some of the elements has proven tricky. Getting furniture reference isn’t too bad as most furniture stores give dimensions and a variety of photographs of the products. But with things like the floor to ceiling windows they are slightly more bespoke and getting close-ups and dimensions for them has taken longer that I first anticipated.