Christmas has now past and it's time to start working on wrapping things up ready to start back in the new year. FMP is peeking over the horizon; ever creeping closer, and I've got a bunch of loose ends that need tying before that can begin. I am currently working on 2 different projects, one for university (fountain project) and one personal (lawn-mower project).
Update on the fountain, it's slowly trickling along. Modeled, unwrapped, with textures the fountain itself exists. I've also got the base of the water shader done, although it needs tweaking, but then everything does. I've blocked out the base of the flowing water particle but I've realised that I may have made a slight mis-judgement on the type/ size of fountain I chose to make given the amount of samples I am allowed in total for the particles. Given there are 3 tiers and 16 spouts on each tier of the fountain it means that however many samples a particle uses I have to multiply that by 48 to get the amount that will be present in the scene. As I've only got a limit of 400 samples for the whole scene it has restricted the quality of the particle effect I have been able to produce. I'm going to see if I can get it to work but if not i may have to go back and change the design of the fountain to fit the particle budget better.
Another thing i am currently having to consider with fountain is what variables I want to be exposed on the fountain. I have made different textures so that I can put the age/ wear of the fountain on a sliding scale, this will also change the colour and how clear the water is. I'm also looking to be able to set the strength of the fountain, this'll change the water flow as well as the water height. There are some other features I have in mind to add but getting these working, bug free, and having it visually at an industry standard is the highest priority currently.
Along side this I am also working on modeling a lawn mower. The idea behind this is to practice PBR texturing as well as hard surface modelling. I have changed from working with solely photoshop for texturing but using substance painter to texture as it allows the ability to paint the albedo, roughness, metalness and height map simultaneously, as well as having a bunch of other features that makes the process a lot faster without taking away from the end result. Once I have finished adding all the decals, text and small details I will be able to export the texture maps from substance painter and render screenshots and a turntable to showcase on my portfolio.
I've got a couple of weeks at the start of the new year before my final major project begins but I am hoping to have these projects mostly finished new year so that I can use the following 2 weeks for polish and do some more concepting and research before the final project starts.
I am Elliott Pacel, a Technical Artist at Reflections, Ubisoft.